Bill 96: Villa Maria’s Imput

As most of us know, Quebec’s new law aims to protect and enforce the French language in schools across the province. With all this new information coming out, students worldwide have formed their own opinion on this topic. Considering that Villa Maria is a bilingual school, it’s only fitting to ask the students firsthand. 

Throughout the month of May, we have interviewed 2 Villa Maria students: A student in both the French and English sector. Here is what they have to say.

“ The new laws put into place are simply unacceptable. As someone who comes from a long line of immigrants, French isn’t our second language and certainly not our first. On top of immigrating to a new country and having to learn English, in order to get an education we must do it in French.  Abolish Bill 96 to allow immigrants to receive an education they are comfortable in”. said a secondary five student in the English sector.

“ As someone with a learning disability who unfortunately doesn’t have English school eligibility, everyday is a struggle to keep up with the rest of my classmates. For  starters, French is not my first language, at home we speak English. On top of that, a learning disability makes schoolwork exponentially harder. It would make a huge difference to be able to attend school in a language I am comfortable with. I am now failing math in French, thanks Bill 96”! said a student in the French sector.

In retrospect, both sides of Villa Maria, even those who are privileged enough to attend school in a language they are comfortable in, can both agree that Bill 96 is unfair.

Save our future generation; Abolish Bill 96.”

— Samara Rougas